This 1940 photo of a farm belonged to the Mercadante family. In the 1960s, and new type of independent, interdenominational church came to Chester. It was called The Grace Bible Chapel and occupied an old farm on Oakdale Road. The original farm not only produced regular farm crops, but also raised chickens. On the more than 10 acres that the new church purchased, there was a built-in swimming pool, fireplaces, a field house, a gym, barns and bunk house. Evangelistic Churches of the New York area often used it for youth activities.
Chester Historical Society PO Box 376 ~ Chester, NJ07930